Let’s listen to Paul Kennedy again talk about positive behaviour at kids sport.
Here’s how all adults involved in sport can help to create a positive experience.
Kids sport is for kids
- Remember, kids sport is for kids. Ask yourself, do my actions and behaviour reflect what kids want from sport?
Encourage fair play
- Cheer and acknowledge good plays by both teams and be sure to thank the officials, coaches and other team after the game.
- Respect officials, coaches and opponents. Accept decisions by officials – they are human and can make mistakes.
Control your emotions
- Keep your emotions in check. Be enthusiastic, but don’t scream instructions from the sideline. Don’t get into shouting matches with anyone and never use bad language.
Uphold your club’s code of conduct
- Find, read and follow your club or sports code of conduct.
Help kids enjoy sport
- Emphasise trying hard and having fun, not only winning. Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake.